Saturday, December 1

Being really quiet



Last week, on Thanksgiving night, I lost my voice. Not metaphorically, but really. Truly. It turns out to be a vocal chord infection and requires silence for up to two weeks. I've never had it before.
 
I've also never been quiet that long. I whispered a little, but that didn't turn out to be a good idea. My son was home from college. So, I mostly listened. That was  pleasant. He is also an English and sign language major, so that was very helpful.  I know a little sign language and he taught us how to sign  cheese cake. I found out there is no sign for casserole. That means you have to spell out each letter. 

I have often thought what it might be like for a hearing impaired person not to hear. But I never thought about what it must be like not to speak. It changed the way I think, a lot. It makes me realize how much we talk, when we really don't need to. And how we should revere the words we say.

Kiss the ones you love,
xoSherry

I'm so glad to be back!

 

2 comments:

DancingMooney said...

I am all about comfortable silence... and good conversation. :) glad you are feeling better Sherry!

Dennice {Fringe} said...

The sound of silence can be a wonderful thing. Although I'm sorry to hear of your infection, and I hope you heal quickly, dear heart.

It's amazing how many of the words one speaks can add up to nothing of importance, or worse, something hurtful. It would be good for all of us to take two weeks of forced vocal rest. We'd all learn a great deal, I believe.

Much love to you and thanks for stopping by my little blog!

xoxo
D