Thursday, September 2

Vintage Marries Modern







my original work, my photos!
.
About 3 years ago, I stumbled upon the find of the century at an estate sale. It was a large manila envelope filled with 1000's of vintage advertising stamps printed in Eastern Europe. There were stamps of trolleys, vespas, odd autos, planes and dozens of styles of bicycles. It was calling my name.
.
About a month ago I started using those stamps in my jewelry. We've dated the stamps by virtue of the transportation and illustration styles to the early 1960's. They have to be carefully preserved prior to setting them in sterling and then pouring the layers of resin. I've been making cuff links and tie tacks as well as necklaces and earrings.
.
Cool, right? The jewelry has been flying off the shelves to homes around the world and I couldn't be more pleased.
.
Take a little ride today and kiss the ones you love,
xoSherry



8 comments:

M.M.E. said...

What an amazing find! I'd love to find something that unique although I'd probably start acting very suspicious on my way out of the estate sale since I'd be holding it so no one else could grab it from me. You did a really wonderful job in preserving the stamps and giving them a new life and special meaning.

lisaroy said...

that's quite the score! I'm sure you were giddy when you found them! I've recently scored quite a load of upholstery fabric samples and can't wait to dive in. your blog is looking very cool btw :)

Waterrose said...

Oh my, that was a score! And, I love the way you have set them!

Sherry said...

Most of the envelopes were filled with receipts or instruction manuals for appliances in the home.
I don't know what made me keep looking through those envelopes, but I'm glad I did!

Bridget said...

hi Sherry, these are fabulous. I love empheria from the 1920's - 70's. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Wear Your Wild said...

I love them! They are so *you*. :)
Hope you're still in day 3 of vacation mode.

Ginny Huber said...

A great find and a great marriage! Nice pieces; quite a fine use of these ads!

Pretty Things said...

How awesome to have found something like that!!!!