Monday, August 31

The jig is up!







This is a story about how I got something I needed and I didn't know I needed it.

I have always been smitten with the work of johnwgolden He's an amazing digital artist. He's also kind enough to share his resin techniques on YouTube. But something else caught my eye over the weekend. He built a jig of solid foam core to hold his work.

Until Saturday, I have been using a jeweler's clay (that doesn't harden) to hold my map cuff links and rings steady while I preserved the maps and poured the layers of resin. It's iffy to level them, and since our home was built in 1918, my studio is anything but level. And, I have spot levels everywhere.

So, I told my husband about this brilliant, yet simple solution that John came up with. And he simply said, "oh, I can build you that." And what you see in the photos is Bob's version. I've already put it to work.

You know what? I really needed that.
xoSherry

8 comments:

Wear Your Wild said...

How cool is that! I love it.

Beadin By The Sea said...

Fabulous! I love those "eureka" moments too! I see your husband is pretty talented. Think of all the other things we could make to make your life easier. Enjoy your new "toy",I mean tool!

John W. Golden said...

Nice!!! You would not believe how many folks ask if I will sell the jigs. They're not a tenth as nice as what your husband did!

Kathy said...

That is so great! All I have to do is tell Irv what I need and he makes it for me. I have a tall slotted bin for holding paper, a dowel rod thing that holds ribbon and one heck of a craft show booth in the works. Don't you just love it!

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

Perfect! Nice to have someone so handy around the house.

Xenotees said...

So awesome Sherry! Yay for the John W Golden inspiration & your husband's creation for you! Looks incredible!!!

elisa said...

That's excellent! I love how your husband can just make it for you too as though it's no big deal.

Anonymous said...

I love love love, it when we get a new toy that makes our days easier... Yay!!