Tuesday, January 6

Bento #1 Lunch

I made my first Bento lunch today. And yes, Virginia there is a learning curve. I didn't want to look at any photos of the glorious boxes I've seen, so I just used good healthy food I had in the house and composed it. (It's best to click on the photo to really see it.)

The box on the left contains mushroom caps stuffed with sauteed broccoli and garlic with fresh oregano on top. It sits on a bed of field greens and grape tomatoes with balsamic vinegar.

The second, smaller box has brown rice surrounded by whole almonds and topped with sundried tomato slivers and a sprig of rosemary.

For dessert I had 3 amazing fresh strawberries and a few tangerine wedges. After the photograph, I ate it all. It was a small lunch, but I really was satisfied, although my dog was perplexed during the photography.

13 comments:

jodie said...

Oh, it's Bento Game On!
Looks great, Sherry.

I can see I'm going to get competitive with this (in a good way!)....which I'm really looking forward to.

Portion perfection.

Sherry said...

I had too much space left over, but thanks. It takes a long time to make one, so I won't do it when I'm hungry again. I'd love it if you'd join me. Bento around the world.

It's cool how many people are interested.

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

It looks yummy. I need to see if the strawberries look good at the grocery store this week!

And I've often wondered what our pets think of us...

jodie said...

Maybe we need a bento day of the week to share photos of bento meals we've been making?

Kathy said...

Wow! Good for you. It looks wonderful and it's all about the smaller servings. We eat way too much!

jewelstreet said...

I have always wondered what Bento boxes were. I might have to get one even though I don't leave the house. It seems very interesting. Perhaps it would help me eat healthier as that's one of my resolutions.

Athena's Armoury said...

It looks deelish! I got a bento box with this sushi soap purchase:
http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=9124249

I'm in love with it, but haven't attempted to use it yet. I might have to do a bento box lunch day each week, too.

jeweledrabbit said...

That looks really good.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Lunch! But I think I'd need two, to feel full. Lol. Sometimes I feel better about loading up on fruits and veggies, to get full, than other things... sounds fun though!

XUE said...

Congratulations on your first Bento lunch! I'm writing to you from Tokyo - the land of bento boxes! Happy New Year!

Jo (ruby-jo) said...

The bento box is such a great idea. I am on an eat healthy and lose some weight quest myself. I do think putting effort into making what you eat fantastic helps but I seem to have no patience for it when I am hungry.

OMB said...

That looks so good!!!

Mary Richmond said...

This is wonderful! thanks for sharing!